The Point San Luis Lighthouse was built in 1889 after “The Queen of the Pacific” ran aground, en route to the (now) Harford Pier.
In operation until 1974, in 1992 the Lighthouse and surrounding property was granted by the Federal government to the Port San Luis Harbor District.
In 1995, The Harbor District aided in the formation of the Point San Luis Lighthouse Keepers, a not-for-profit corporation established to preserve, restore and open this precious and historical site to the public.
In 2005, the National Parks Service approved the ‘Historic Structures Report and Treatment Plan’, the guidebook for restoration of the site. This valuable document, compiled by the volunteer effort of San Luis Obispo engineer Robert Vessely, P.E., marked a turning point in the efforts to restore the site and buildings.
Visit the Lighthouse
Today, access to the site is either:
A docent led hike on the Pecho Coast Trail
Call (805) 541-TREK (8735) or visit PG&E’s website for more information.